I know there’s a few of these posts around, but I wanted to do one purely for my own notes if nothing else. Particularly as I will be setting things up a little differently (partly because I have just installed a SSD and will be using more than one drive and…) because some of the other posts are already out of date, especially since the latest update of Xcode which does not come with GCC. You are welcome to follow this guide, but remember you do so at your own risk.
(Pretty much works for Mountain lion too.)
I will cover:
- What to back up before starting
- How to install a SSD in a Mac Pro
- How to do a clean Lion install
- How to restore your mail, keychain, address book, cyberduck and .ssh folders
- Setting up your Ruby dev environment
- How to set up Photoshop for web design
- How to create sym links to split up your home folder (for those with more than one HD)
- How to index your second HD in spotlight
Just click on the links above starting at the top and making your way down. If you feel I’ve missed anything out please let me know!